Author Topic: Helgoland 2016  (Read 4802 times)

Inge Dijkhuis

• View Profile
Helgoland 2016
« on: 26/07/2016, 00:41:35 »
Dear Hayo,
As promised during our trip the lighthouse at sunset.

Thanks for your reply, herewith I posted the results of our post processing.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016, 21:18:37 by Inge Dijkhuis »

Hayo Baan

• Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
Re: Helgoland 2016
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2016, 10:23:50 »
Hallo Inge,

Thanks  8)

Nice, good that the whole tower is visible! Compositionally perhaps the only thing that I'd like even better would be to have some room after the final house on the right. But as it is now works too though you might try it with the cropping a bit off (e.g., up to the chimney) the right to see if that improves it even more.

Post processing-wise, I actually played with it a bit myself and even with the JPG (working on the raw file would work even better), I think I was able to get a lot more out of the image. I would mainly brighten the shadows and increase vibrance and saturation (a lot); that will bring out more of the beautiful sky we actually saw. If you agree, I look forward to see the results of your post processing!

PS. We want to see more, you had some real beauties  :)

Edit: see below for feedback on your updated post and results.
« Last Edit: 06/08/2016, 11:23:47 by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

Hayo Baan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
Re: Helgoland 2016
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2016, 11:21:17 »
Hi Inge,

Wow, nice! Thanks for updating your post with the post processed version of the lighthouse. I like it very much!

Feedback on the other images:
  • Landing Gannet: Good action shot, sharp and I like the sea weed in its beak (adds to the image). I don't mind the cropped off left wing at all. Perhaps the composition would improve even further if you crop off some of the top and give some more room at the bottom.
  • Pebble: Different! :D With the strings of seaweed it is almost as if the pebble is towed by the sand hill :)
  • Seal: Great composition, I like the V-shape a lot. Compositionally perhaps move the seal a bit to the bottom and leave more room at the top, but that would be all.
  • Sand track: This is perhaps my favourite, a really strong composition with nice lines 8)

Excellent work!
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl