Author Topic: Industrial Heritage April 27-28th 2013 Gerrit-Jan's images  (Read 13598 times)

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
Wow Pol, I'm impresed with your pictures, really nice work. I'm almost afraid to show you mine ;)

Anyway, here's a couple of mine, I'm not completely happy with the post processing yet but they're not half bad.

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
Re: Industrial Heritage April 27-28th 2013 Gerrit-Jan's images
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2013, 22:38:44 »
2 extra pictures with the cellar photo which tuned out real great (thanks Maartje for assisting with the flash :) )

pfgbel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2013, 08:56:07 »
Hi Gerrit-Jan !
Thank you for your comments.
Please never hesitate to show your work, we are all in the same boat and it is a rich experience to share what me made and help eachother to improve our production.

Gerrit-Jan, you achieved a very good work, congrats !
For this type of photography, post-processing is essential and can take time.

I like particularly your shot of the rusted ovens (GJN_2071), the angle of view near the ground is a very good idea because it gives a nice perspective of these nicely rusted elements.
The wheels is also one I like, you succeeded with a wonderful alignment (what I didn't...). I wonder if the big foreground wheel is not a bit too important in the image, but this is only my feeling.
You're right, the cellar came out very good with its reflexions... !  If possible, try to restitue some details in the black on the left side of the image, it would balance in some way the highlights of the right.

Let's go on with our processing and see you back here soon !
Thanks for sharing.
Pol

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2013, 09:53:31 »
Hi Pol,

Thanks for the very useful feedback. For me, it is usually a choice between using HDR for a nicely balanced photo with a bit of extra contrast or to push it over the top. The big wheel indeed can go as it distracts too much. The rusted ovens look was done by adding extra structure to the photo to give it that extra grungy look. I'll further tune the cellar photo as it really deserves a spot on my wall :)
I also noticed you really need to be careful with tilting your camera with wide angle as otherwise you will get lots of distortion on the edges.

Cheers,
GJ.

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2013, 19:34:01 »
The cellar - redone with the lighting redone

pfgbel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2013, 19:52:03 »
Good evening Gerrit-Jan,
Much much better !

You have now an equilibrated image with a large variety of tones, very very good work !
The last thing I encourage you to do (please do not hate me after this...) is to get the pillars vertical, it's fast and easy to do in Photoshop: >select >select all >edit >Manual transformation >Shift+Ctrl and pull out from a bottom corner with the mouse until the pillar is really vertical, also correct the opposite corner that changed with this manipulation.
I'm sure you will be happy with the final result, don't hesitate to write what you really think !

friendly Yours,
Pol

Hayo Baan

• Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2013, 20:10:57 »
Hi Gerrit-Jan,

Really nice images! Very impressed with everything I've seen of you guys so far :)

You've already gotten some good feedback from Pol, but I'll still give you mine here too:
  • Window: great, lovely different view on the subject. If you straighten it you will not only lose the distracting sliver in the top left, you'll make the image even stronger too.
  • Lift tower: nice different view, but I don't think I like the fact nothing seems to be in focus.
  • Wagon wheels: good, nice colours. Have you tried flipping the image on the horizontal axis already? As we Europeans read from left to right, this may improve the composition even further (I like it already!)
  • Small wagons: I especially like the different colours here, makes it a treat for the eye.
  • Battery: Good composition, finally possible as a result to the cleanup of the path :)
  • Cellar: second version is really a big improvement, now I quite like it! Maartje's work did pay off in the end :) I would definitely straighten the image and make all straight lines straight as Pol also suggested. This will greatly improve the image.

Many thanks for posting!
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2013, 20:52:46 »
Hi Hayo and Pol,

I have used your feedback to improve my images.
Window => straightened
Cellar => added a bit of hdr effect and straightened
Wheels => Cut off the big wheel and flipped horizontally.
I agree on the picture of the tower although I might keep it and turn it into a silhouette (see if that works better).

I'm still working on the Kokerei so expect more pictures to come.

Cheers,
GJ.

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/05/2013, 22:12:57 »
Couple of more pictures from the Hansa Kokerei.

Hayo, btw, we got rid of that awful velbon head (Iny has now got my Redged RNB-3) and I will upgrade to a Markins Q3.

Cheers,
GJ.

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/05/2013, 23:45:13 »
And one more (final shot before we left).

Hayo Baan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/05/2013, 09:12:44 »
Hayo, btw, we got rid of that awful velbon head (Iny has now got my Redged RNB-3) and I will upgrade to a Markins Q3.

Ha, good for you! That really was a terrible head…

Your improved images are indeed improvements. They were nice already, but now they're even better. Really nice! Not sure if you needed to crop the big wheel off the wagon wheel one though, but flipping it seems to have worked nicely.

Your new images:
  • Inside the mixing unit: composition feels a bit unbalanced to me; too heavy on the right side. It also feels a bit tilted.
  • Chair: Love it! Perhaps crop just a little bit off the left to make the composition even better.
  • Taps: Nice. Like the look of the light (bokeh) in the background! I only think the taps may be too low in the image to make a perfect composition.
  • Hat: Simple but very nice. Composition wise I'd crop a bit of the top left to have the hat “less smack in the middle”
  • Track: For such a beautiful place (in my opinion), I always find it hard to get good compositions here; there's always too much going on some way or the other. Your approach is definitely a good one though! I would just straighten it on the left to make it better.

Really nice images. Lovely to watch  8)
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/05/2013, 14:46:24 »
Hi Hayo,

Thanks for the feedback. I have redone some of the pictures already.
Inside the mixing unit => cropped and lightened to have more focus on the see through aspect
Fallen chair => Cropped more
Hat => Cropped more to move the hat to the top left
Track => Cropped and straightened
The taps I will leave as is. I personally like it when you can see a certain repetition in a photo. If I would have lowered my viewpoint, I would have lost
that aspect as the first tap would hide the others. Choices, choices :)

Hayo Baan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/05/2013, 16:34:48 »
Hi Gerrit-Jan,

Wow, you're quick, and on such a nice day  ;)

I think all of them have been improved by your edits! Biggest improvement for me is the one inside the mixing unit: this one went from “not bad” to “I like” with only some minor adjustments  :)

You are right about the taps, of course; without the repetition it would not be as good. The only option would have been to move further away and/or use a wider angle. Now I think about it again, perhaps it is not so much that they are too low in the image, but that they are extending too far to the right; more room on the right (and top) could make it better. Hmm, this is something that may actually be doable in Photoshop…
Another option would have been to shoot portrait perhaps?

Anyway, the reason I'm blabbing so much about the tap image is that I in fact like (the idea of) it so very much ;D

Have fun,
Hayo

P.S. As you know by now, these are just my personal thoughts, so please feel free (almost obliged  ;)) to disagree!
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

gerrit-jan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/05/2013, 15:44:27 »
Hi Hayo,

Thanks for the feedback once again. Don't worry, I'm a rower and used to aiming for perfection but that's all of the fun anyway. Once you have
it all sorted out, there is nothing more to do so I'm happy with improving myself.

Anyway, good to hear I have given you ideas for your next trip :)

Here's a couple of more photos.

Cheers,
GJ

Hayo Baan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06/05/2013, 20:39:45 »
Hi Hayo,

Thanks for the feedback once again. Don't worry, I'm a rower and used to aiming for perfection but that's all of the fun anyway. Once you have it all sorted out, there is nothing more to do so I'm happy with improving myself.

Anyway, good to hear I have given you ideas for your next trip :)

Here's a couple of more photos.

Hi GJ, sometimes being a perfectionist (I am one too…) has its advantages. For one, you're seldom bored  ;)

Here's some feedback:
  • Holes: Nice to try something completely different! Not sure how much I like it, but Maartje sure does like it a lot!
  • Cog wheel: This one I definitely like. Perhaps tone down the highlights a bit, but that would be all, I think.
  • Track: Good, low, vantage point.
  • Fan: Good detail but would improve if you get rid of the sliver of white in the top left.

Again, very nice to look at! Keep going  :)
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl