Author Topic: Workshop put into practice  (Read 2456 times)

Ellen

• View Profile
Workshop put into practice
« on: 08/05/2014, 20:03:13 »
Hey Hayo,

Last year we took the birds of prey workshop. In september went to the Pantanal in Brazil and we had a great chance to try and shoot some birds in flight...in the wild!
Here some of the results :)

Hayo Baan

• Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
  • Administrator
  • Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
Re: Workshop put into practice
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2014, 09:38:59 »
Hello Ellen,

Many thanks for sharing the results of the workshop put in practice. Really inspiring!

Some feedback:
  • Crane (?): Good, illustrative shot of the bird bringing home some more nesting material.
  • Bird (some type of Lapwing?) in flight: Good flight shot, must have been pretty hard to take, I think (similar birds in the Netherlands are just too quick and erratic to photograph in-flight). I especially like use of depth of field and the location of the second bird in the picture; gives a direction to look at (and it suggests the first bird is going there too). Perhaps cropping a bit of the left bottom part of the image will make it even stronger.
  • Cormorant (?): Typical shot of the bird basking in the sun. Nice, but not as spectacular as some of your other images.
  • Birds in the grass: Nice interaction between the birds! I suggest cropping it portrait though to focus more on the birds as now there is too much background (which is nicely non-distracting!)

But again, wow, and thanks for sharing  8)
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

Ellen

• View Profile
Re: Workshop put into practice
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2014, 08:17:18 »
I'm glad you like them, it is always nice if the teacher approves :)

Just for your information.
The bird carrying the nesting material is called Jabiru aka giant stork. A very impressive big bird.
The black and white bird is indeed a kind of lapwing but i haven't been able to identify which one (i had a huge job identifying all the birds we shot!). They fly kind of irradic.
The bird basking in the sun is called 'snake bird'. They do not produce protective oilds on their feathers so after every hun they have to dry, otherwise they'll drown.
The birds in the green are a kind of flycatchers. They were so cute, they were really talking to each other and that shows on the picture!