Author Topic: October 2012 Workshop – Picture sharing and feedback  (Read 3039 times)

Hayo Baan

• Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
To kick off image sharing and feedback for our Industrial Heritage October 2012 workshop, here are a first three of the images I took at the mine.

While I didn't take a great many shots at the mine, I did take shots I hadn't taken before on my earlier visits. All in all, I'm quite Ok with my catch  :)

I processed them with quite a heavy HDR-look as I felt that gave off the atmosphere of the place the best. Interestingly, while I shot almost everything bracketed (“to be safe”), I used only a single exposure for processing in many of the final images. Because of the weather (heavily overcast), the contrast in the scene just did not necessitate using more!

Feel free to comment and share your own!

Scrap yard

Coal sorting

Railway yard
« Last Edit: 01/12/2013, 15:24:53 by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl

Rob de Jonge

• View Profile
Re: October 2012 Workshop: Some pictures from the mine
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2012, 21:12:26 »
Mooie beelden, Hayo van plekken die nog steeds in mijn geheugen gegrift staan.
Vooral Kokerei Hansa is voor mij de ultieme plek geweest dankzij zijn ruige aspecten.
Vandaar mijn keuze. De foto's zijn deels gemaakt in het oude verlaten lab vertegenwoordigen een sfeer die ik het beste kan vertalen in "over the top" HDR-beelden.

Al met al een geslaagd weekend dat naar meer smaakt.

Rob

stimpy35

• View Profile
Re: October 2012 Workshop: Some pictures from the mine
« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2012, 21:38:04 »
Mooie foto's allebei en als ik mijn persoonlijke voorkeur moet geven, vindt ik vooral de laatste 2 foto's van Rob bijzonder mooi. Hierbij mijn eerste pogingen van de locomotieven op de scrapyard (vooral Photomatix het werk laten doen).

Sander

Hayo Baan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
Re: Feedback
« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2012, 10:39:07 »
Hi Rob and Sander, thanks for sharing your first images! Really nice to see what you made of the places we visited  8)

I still need to process Hansa but I'm afraid that will have to wait; coming week I'll be in Bavaria shooting with Rob ;D

Now as promised I'll give some feedback on your first images.

Rob's first images

The cellar is always a very nice place to photograph and this one is certainly one of the must haves.
Two things I like less about this image. I think it's too dark, though perhaps you can salvage some of the shadows in e.g. Lightroom, this one could really have used processing as an HDR. The other thing I like less is the fact the pillars do not stand straight. This is, however, easily fixed in post processing, e.g., using lens correction.

Nice, your HDR processing gives off the atmosphere nicely! Compositionally, perhaps the one thing that bothers me (but only a little bit), is that the cart us standing a bit too much in the middle. I think I'd prefer it a bit more to the right. Oh, and of course the slight tilt at which you shot the image could be corrected too.

Two great shots and ditto HDR processing. Like them very much. Not sure what I'd improve/change here.

Sander's first images

Rough approach to a rough scene. Good! Compositionally, I don't like the fact that the top of the cabin is touching the frame, a bit of space around it would have my preference. Post processing-wise, I'd crank up the contrast (a lot), this will give the roughness even more edge.

I never get that locomotive the way I want it, always something in the way that I dislike. You, however, have somehow succeeded in making the bothersome things in the background mostly disappear, and certainly made them less obtrusive. Well done! Post processing wise, I don't know which of the two I like best. The top one is nicely colourful, but the bottom one also has something going for it as it emphasises the old and worn-downness of the locomotive. Hmm…
One thing I'd try to correct is the bright spot at the front of the locomotive, especially the pipe is too bright and distracts a bit. Oh, and if you feel adventurous, you could also try to clone out the wall of the building on the right and the white/blue area in the background. Probably not too easy to do though so you may as well let it be.
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl