Author Topic: Bavarian Forest 2016  (Read 3511 times)

Rob de Jonge

• View Profile
Bavarian Forest 2016
« on: 11/03/2016, 12:00:20 »
In February we, Hayo, Maartje and  me,  visited  the Bavarian Forest again. And again, there was not much snow. But the challenge of the "Tier Frei Gelande" and good company was more then enough compensation.
I find it hard to make new and inspiring photos, but there are a couple of small gems: a stampede of the bizons an d a long shoot near the swines.
I also learned a couple  of things about my equipment:
1. 6400 ISO is no problem for the Nikon D810.
2. The Nikkor lens 70-200mm F2.8 VR II + 2x TC (Nikon) shooting wide open gives muddy looking results.You have to open the lens at-least 1 stop.

Rob de Jonge

Rob de Jonge

• View Profile
Re: Bavarian Forest 2016
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/2016, 12:09:15 »
There are some more:

Rob de Jonge

Hayo Baan

• Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
  • Administrator
  • Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
Re: Bavarian Forest 2016
« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2016, 18:25:56 »
Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting. Apart from a first go at removing the “not perfect in-focus”, or otherwise definite rejects, I have not had time to have a look at my own. But looking at yours definitely makes me want to work on them asap. though (now to find time in between my other assignments…).

As usual, you posted some awesome images, making it hard to “critique” them, they are just lovely with great colour! I'll try to give some feedback anyway:

1. Slinking Lynx – Love the intensity of the stare, works well with the anticipated movement.
2. Lynx on Branch – Less spectacular, but still a nice pose. I think I would have preferred a bit more room at the bottom and perhaps a bit less on the right (although the left side is a bit “busy” so getting more of that might actually not work as well).
3. Wisent Stampede – Great action, very unique. I don't think many people have seen this before. To increase the  intensity of the image, perhaps it works if you crop part of the bottom, and perhaps even a bit from the right.
4. Male Wild Cat – Nice and moody; love the dark tones! 8)
5. Slinking Lynx in the Snow – Beautiful movement, just a pity she didn't look our direction here, that would have made this nice shot even more awesome.
6. Female Wild Cat – Really beautiful pose, I wish I had shot her like this (I don't think I did). The only thing I would do is make it slightly darker (I know, I don't say this much ;))
7. Wild Boar – Different shot! The only problem is that it is hard to see what we are looking at.
8. Wolf Pair – Love the fact that the image conveys that these two are a couple. Here I really would like to see more room on the right though; it's a bit too tight for me right now.

(I really really love what you have done with the colours!)
Hayo Baan – Photography
www.hayobaan.nl